M., a 53 years old computer analyst presented with a recent diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. She experienced intermittent pain, numbness, weakness and tingling sensation day and night. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the lubricating linings around the wrist tendons and ligaments swell and thicken because of repetitive or too forceful hand movements, the resulting pressure on the nerve causes pain.
- A synergistic herbal combination of hops, olive and rosemary that decreases the inflammation. Particularly helpful to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain.
- Vitamin B6 is recognised to quickly and effectively reduce the swelling in carpal tunnel syndrome and alleviate symptoms and low doses daily over months has been shown to avoid corrective surgery. It works by assisting neuronal signalling.
- A blend of glucosamine, MSM with nutritional co-factors to reduce musculoskeletal pain and inflammation and promote the healing of joint tissues.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Reduce pro-inflammatory foods in the diet including saturated fats (meats, poultry, and dairy), refined foods, and sugar.
- Consume an anti-inflammatory low reactive diet, with adequate protein and essential fatty acids and low in starchy carbohydrates.
- For 1 month to restrict the intake of nightshades. They include peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and white potatoes.
- Paw paw and pineapple are sources of anti-inflammatory, proteolytic enzymes which are beneficial.
- Most CTS can be prevented by avoiding overuse of the joint, by resting between periods of activity, and by adequately warming up and stretching before strenuous activity.
- Contrast hydrotherapy: alternating hot and cold applications brings nutrients to the site and diffuses metabolic waste from inflammation. The overall effect is decreased inflammation, pain relief, and enhanced healing. Immerse the wrists fully. Alternate three minutes hot with one minute cold and repeat three times a day.
- Massage may help symptomatically and preventatively, especially with rosemary and/or St John’s wort oil.
Natural medicine can help by reducing inflammation, facilitate neuronal repair and encourage tissue healing. After 8 weeks of treatment, M had fully restored functioning of her hands and arms.