NATUROPATHIC CASE STUDY: ECZEMA AND ASTHMA
R. 35 y. old, a sales director presented with eczema, asthma and poor energy. Both his eczema and asthma had worsened significantly in recent months – the skin on his elbows and behind both knees was red, itchy and raised; he was coughing up mucus every morning and he was using his inhaler on a regular basis. Since taking on a new job a few months previously his diet had become very poor and he had stopped exercising. He commented that he had not been sleeping well and was generally more irritable since starting his new job.
- Magnesium with B vitamins complex: support nervous system and lung function, will address the stress which is a driver for his immune imbalance.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids: anti-inflammatory to manage generalised inflammation of skin and lungs
- Vitamin A, C, D, zinc and quercetin: Essential nutrients for skin and lungs tissue health.
- Probiotic with L.rhamnosus GG: specifically to restore skin health
- Homeopathic formula, addressing his constitutional characteristic to restore balance
DIET AND LIFESTYLE:
· Increase fruits and vegetables: good source of antioxidants such as beta carotene and vitamins C and E that may help control lung swelling and irritation (inflammation) caused by cell-damaging chemicals known as free radicals.
· Avoid sulphites: used as a preservative, sulphites can be found in wine, dried fruits and pickles.
· Exercise: even ½ hour walk at lunch every day will help the problem.
Improved energy was the first result, then R. gradually has implemented the diet and lifestyle changes necessary to maintain good skin and manage his asthma.