NATUROAPTHIC CASE STUDY: ALLERGIC SINUSITIS/RHINITIS
A 51 y.old male client presented with nasal discharge, sneezing, itchy eyes and nose, headaches and facial pain. He had a few successful treatments with his G.P. but the problem keeps coming back.
Sinusitis can be caused by allergy and/or infection and it can bring on rhinitis. In this case both are co-existing.
Rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucous membrane. Allergic rhinitis is caused by any allergen, usually an inhalant such as pollen. Hay fever is a seasonal form of allergic rhinitis.
Priority treatment: Herbs and Supplements
* To reduce the allergic and inflammatory response with herbs like Eyebright, Golden Rod and Golden Seal. These herbs are anticatarrhal, and strengthen the mucous membranes by toning the respiratory mucosa.
* Eyebright and Golden Rod have been traditionally recommended for nasal catarrh, sinusitis and conjunctivitis.
* To strengthen the immune system with Echinacea root, Andrographis and Cat’s Claw. They all assist the body in enhancing the nonspecific immune function.
* Vit. C and Zinc : a blend of mineral ascorbate with complementary naturally sourced bioflavonoids with resveratrol and alpha-lipoic acid. These nutrients aid in the reduction of inflammation, help in controlling histamine release and strengthen connective tissues.
Diet and some home remedies:
* To consume plenty of hot liquids/vegies soups with cayenne pepper, garlic, ginger and raw onions. These help the mucous to flow thus relieving congestion.
* To avoid dairy products for 6 weeks as they increase mucous formation.
* To use steam inhalations with eucalyptus oil or rosemary oil, to promote drainage and ease pressure.
* Saline nasal sprays: homemade saltwater solution to flush the nose of irritants and help thin the mucus and soothe the membranes in your nose.
Rapid improvement restored his well being but the root of this case is a chronic low grade infection, therefore a few months of treatment to improve his immune system will be needed.