Brigitte, 35 year old personal assistant, is presenting with overwhelming fatigue in the afternoon, anxious with fluctuating moods and bouts of depression.
Dysglycemia refers to any abnormalities in blood glucose levels that lead to disease. Abnormally high, low or unstable glucose levels indicate a lack of control that can be attributed to a variety of causes.
Glucose, the sugar in our blood, is essential to health because it is required for the formation of ATP, the energy molecule in our bodies, which is necessary for every organ and cell to function.
The brain primarily relies on glucose as a source of energy and unstable blood sugar levels can have a significant impact on mental health problems especially depression.
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- The fist approach is to modify the diet: eliminate sugar from the diet, no cakes, candies, cookies, ice cream, sweetened cereal, canned fruit, and frozen desserts.
- Avoid simple carbohydrates and refined and processed foods such as instant rice and potatoes, white flour, soft drinks, and alcohol.
- Eat a diet high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, legumes, good fats like avocados, chia seeds, spices like turmeric, ginger and cinammon, nuts and seeds which help with stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Use apple cider vinegar: it has been found to blunt blood sugar and insulin increases. It slows the absorption of carbohydrates into the blood and slows the breakdown of starches into sugars.
- Increase water intake
- Exercise: moderate amount of regular exercise to improve glucose metabolism and enhance insulin sensitivity.
TREATMENT WITH HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS:
- A combination of chromium, magnesium, zinc, vit.B complex, vit.C and vit.E. Magnesium is essential for insulin production and utilisation. Chromium, B3 and taurine are combined together with magnesium to enhance glucose handling. These nutrients are involved in glucose transport and utilization, with healthy lipid metabolism and lean body mass.
- Fish oil to support healthy sugar metabolism through effects on cell membranes and special receptors thus improving insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation.
- A herbal tonic for the pancreas with Blue flag, Goat’s rue, Gymnema and Berberine helping with insulin sensitivity, weight management and protecting the pancreatic from destruction.
Three months later, Brigitte reported a great improvement in her well-being.
She had increased energy and her moods had greatly improved as well.
The treatment was reduced, then stopped and she is now maintaining her renewed well-being only with her diet and exercise routine.