NATUROPATHIC CASE STUDY: LOW MOOD
M, a 55 years old secretary has been suffering of “low mood” and anxiety for a couple of months and the condition is getting worse with the Holiday Season approaching.
To implement a gentle detoxification program for 7 days:
- To eliminate: Alcohol, milk products (except ½ cup unsweetened yoghurt with a good probiotic each day), sugar, honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners, coffee, grains such as wheat (bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta), rye, barley, oats, spelt and dried fruit.
- To include: fresh fruit and fresh vegetables, fresh fish or canned fish in water or olive oil, lean red meat, chicken without the skin (limit to two serves per week), legumes, dried or canned, such as kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, eggs preferably organic, olive oil (preferably extra virgin), coconut oil (unprocessed), unsalted raw nuts such as almonds, walnuts, macadamias and cashews, unsalted raw seeds like sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, green tea or weak black tea (decaffeinated), to increase water intake from one to three litres of water per day.
- A herbal formula with Lemon Balm, Kava, Passion Flower and St John’s Wort: In a study published by the Cochrane Library, the researchers compiled the results of 29 prior trials, involving a total of 5,489 participants who were randomly assigned either St. John’s Wort, a placebo, or SSRIs to treat mild to moderately severe depression. St. John’s Wort was found to be more effective than a placebo and at least as effective as SSRIs, and no side effects.
- L-Theanine is a water-soluble amino acid. Studies have found that it acts directly on the brain, helping to reduce stress and anxiety, without causing drowsiness.
- Omega-3: People with diets high in omega-3 essential fatty acids have lower rates of depression. the powerful EHA and DHA are required for healthy brain function.
- Vitamin B complex: vitamin B-3, one of the water-soluble B-complex vitamins reduces anxiety and depression. Low levels of B12 are a risk factor for depression.
Lavender and Bergamot Essential Oils
- One essential oil that stands out for depression is bergamot (Citrus aurantium). Many citruses are acknowledged for their uplifting effects, but bergamot is particularly powerful. To rub some bergamot or lavender essential oil on temples, neck, and wrists for a boost to your mood and a reduction in stress/anxiety. Other great ways to benefit is to have a warm bath with a few drops of lavender and bergamot oil.