Three weeks ago, a young man suffering from hay fever came into the store to ask for advice.
I suggested the following herbs and nutrients to help manage his symptoms of allergies naturally, as well as rebalancing his immune function.
- Perilla (Perilla frutescens) – great herb that is beneficial in the treatment of hay fever, asthma and sinusitis. It can be used to reduce the symptoms of allergic reactions, particularly of the upper respiratory tract.
- Atractylodes (Atractylodes lancea) – this herb is beneficial for hayfever, nasal congestion, asthma, and dermatitis. It also helps the immune system to fight colds and respiratory infections.
- Albizia (Albizia lebbeck) – The anti-allergy properties of the herb albizia are helpful for hay fever, asthma, sinus congestion and allergic skin conditions such as eczema and hives. It also helps to strengthen the lungs and clear mucus.
- Quercetin – Is a bioflavonoid vitamin that is used for acute or chronic allergies such as hay fever, hives, and asthma. It is also a great antioxidant.
- Probiotics – There are many different strains of probiotics; the most useful for allergies is Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG).
This strain has been found to be effective in reducing allergies including eczema.
- Zinc – Plays a very important role in regulating the immune system and is a common deficiency. Optimal zinc levels are crucial in any allergy treatment.
- Vitamin C – Boosts the immune system, improves lung function and decreases allergy symptoms.
These days a lot of our food contains high levels of preservatives, additives, and pesticides that can all impact on the immune systems and contribute to allergies. I recommended introducing more simple fresh foods to his diet and we had a long talk about his diet.
Essential oils – Antimicrobial essential oils such as eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender and thyme used in a sinus spray can provide relief from nasal and sinus congestion that occurs with hay fever and upper respiratory tract infections.
He came back to the store last week and was very happy with the change, no more hay fever!